Monday, May 16, 2011

Pajama Pants from Old T-shirt

I've kind of been on a repurposing kick lately.  After finding numerous clothes that were stained or I just didn't like anymore I got to thinking about what I could make with all this extra fabric I now had.  The first creation, pajama pants from old t-shirts.  My tutorial is not the best because I get going and forget to take pictures along the way.  They are so simple though I think directions will suffice.  These are so perfect for comfy lounging/night time pants. Plus, they take about five minutes to make.

First cut your tshirt's arms off and cut the front apart from the back so you have two pieces.


Then fold your fabric in a way that will make the t-shirt design stand out when the pants are complete.  This may take some time and hard thought. :)  Even with the thought in the beginning, they may not turn out as planned as I experienced.

Second lay your premade baby pants on top of your folded t-shirt.  You want the side seam of the pants lined up with the fold.  Mark around your pants leaving about half an inch for seam allowance.


Sew the legs closed like so.


Turn one leg right side out and place inside the other wrong side out leg (so right sides are together).  Pin and sew the two legs together.


Turn the pants right side out and fold the top over about an inch or whatever width your elastic is.  Sew the hem in place leaving a small opening to pull your elastic through.

Measure your elastic loosely around your baby's waist.  Pull your elastic through your hem using a safety pin.

Sew the ends of your elastic together using about a half inch seam allowance.  Pull elastic to encase it in your hem.

Whaaalaaa...finished!



Note: You can hem the bottoms and may want to hide the raw edge of your hem for the elastic.  I didn't feel this was necessary since the tshirt fabric doesn't fray much, it just curls.

No comments: