Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Hanky Scarves

After inheriting quite a few hankies from my grandma I was hunting for ideas to use them rather than have them stuffed away in a box.

My first creation was this adorable little hanky shirt for my babe.  You can find a tutorial over at Trey and Lucy.  It was the perfect lightweight fabric for summer and I'm pretty sure it will still fit next year.



I knew I wanted to make something I could wear as well to show off these vintage hankies.

So, who doesn't love scarves?  I wear them all the time and I knew these hankies could easily make an adorable addition to my wardrobe.



They are so simple to make.  Just pin the ends of two scarves together and sew with as little of seem allowance as you can.  Repeat to your desired length.  Mine was about six feet or six hankies long.




If the edges don't match up due to the sizes of the hankies, don't worry about it.  Once your scarf is complete, you won't even notice.

I am in love! With so many different colors in the hankies, their are endless possibilities.



13 comments:

marie said...

The hanky scarves are lovely...what a great idea! The hanky shirt is sweet too! Thanks for sharing.

I found your scarf on Pinterest.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Love this idea! I just found a ton of these at my mom's house. I scooped them up but I didn't have a good plan for them. Thanks! (Oh - wanted to let you know I found this on Pinterest!)

teresaS said...

What a lovely use of hankies! I will try this with my collection form the women in my family.

Found you on Pinterest!

SUSAN HEMANN said...

So very creative!!

Abby said...

Love this idea! They are so colorful and pretty!

Anonymous said...

Via Pinterest, just love the scarf from hankies! While cleaning out my grandparents house this past Feb. I found the mother load of hankies. And I snatched everyone of them up. 37 in all, I put 23 in a spoon display, a few in old tea cups and the other are just in a draw. I love the fact that I could wear them. Gran always had a hankie in her watch band or could magically make one appear out of thin air, I now know she pulled them out of her bra strap. Funny how they still smell of her perfume. And on warm days as the sun sitting and just right my whole office smells of Gran. And I smile.

Anonymous said...

Sooo glad I saw this on Pinterest! I, too, have Grandma's hankies which I can't part with! And soon I will be wearing them! Thank you for being a stinkin GENIUS!

Anonymous said...

Love ths idea as I've inherited many hankies from loved ones and didn't know what to do with them.

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Thank you for this hanky-scarf suggestion... yours looks beautiful, and I cannot wait to make one, too~

Anonymous said...

lovely! but I wouldn't use a "seam allowance", rather just overlap a bit and either hand embroider or fancy machine stitch.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Beautiful idea - found this on Pinterest while looking for ways to use vintage linens and hankies. I have a bunch and also love scarves so this is perfect. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

While cleaning out my mother's home, I recently found a huge collection of hankies. Looking for something to make with them and this is a great idea! thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this idea! I have my grandmother's and my mother's scarves. I used a few to make travel tissue cases and plan to make angels out of some but there were a few that I wanted to do something different with them. The scarf idea is perfect and even better since the weather is cooler.