Closets. There are so
many types…
broom closets, linen closets, coat closets, spear closets,
utility closets, walk-in closets, pantries, craft closets, toy closets, his and
hers closets, outdoor closets…
All of which are a dream for me. Unfortunately in our old house, closet space
is lacking. We have two closets in the
whole house, one for each bedroom.
Finding ways to store everything that the above closets are
designed for has been an ongoing challenge for me. I have found a few ways to improvise.
My first piece of organization advice for anyone lacking
closet space is to invest in some trunks or chests.
Since we bought our house, we’ve inherited two big trunks. One is for extra blankets, sheets,
pillows, etc. and one for coats and winter gear.
They have been a lifesaver.
I tried the hooks and still use those but honestly, how many coats can
you have hanging out in the open. With three
seasons in Nebraska of wearing coats or jackets, we own quite the coat collection.
Bonus, use your trunks as benches, coffee tables, side
tables, etc. to act as double duty.
Second organization advice for those lacking
closet space is to create makeshift closets with curtains.
Old houses often have little alcoves which tend to be wasted
space if not used efficiently.
I turned our bedroom alcove into a “his” closet for my hubby. Yes, we now have his and hers closets…well
our version at least.
I bought this Whitmore Double Rod Closet System off Amazon. I was a little hesitant because often those
store bought closet systems can be flimsy and fall apart. But after reading the reviews, I decided to
go for it.
I’m so glad I did. This is such an awesome storage system, I highly recommend it. It is very sturdy and compact yet has tons of storage space.
It fits perfectly in our little alcove, with just enough
space for the hamper.
Simple solutions to the closet dilemma so many have with old
homes. Bonus, they are fairly
inexpensive!

No comments:
Post a Comment