Monday, November 1, 2010

Littlest Witch

I was trying to find a cute little costume for my daughter and I ended up finding an adorable little pumpkin but still wanted something different. I came up with this witch costume after wondering through Target, finding this hat, seeing a cute little shirt that said Mommy and Daddy are under my spell and then finding these adorable children socks. I attempted to make this into a tutorial but I'm not sure how good I did because I kind of just made it up as I went along.

What you will need:
Two pairs of socks $2 (I used one child size (arms) and one adult size(legs))
Onesie $1.50 (half off at hobby lobby)
Hat $1 (any size will work because I just cut it to size)
Fabric Paint $.50 (half off at hobby lobby)
Ribbon $1 (plain black half off at hobby lobby)
Tule $.50 (I used 1/4 yard of each color, half off at hobby lobby)
Felt $.50 (just one little sheet will do)
Hair Clips $2 (bag of six, you need 2)
Stuffing (already had)
Headband (already had)
Black thread (already had)
Black permanent marker (already had)

I made the whole costume for under $10. My hints are to look in the dollar section at Target and hit half off sales at Hobby Lobby.


First we will start with the tutu. You will need ribbon and tule.

Cut your tule into about 2 inch strips and double length you want the tutu to be.


Next cut your ribbon to fit around your babies tummy and a little extra to tie off. Then you attach your strip of tule. I did one black and one purple with each knot.

To tie the knot make a loop with the tule in the center of the strip, place the loop under the ribbon and then pull the loose ends of the tule over the ribbon and through the loop.


Continue attaching pieces of tule until you have the tutu long enough to fit around your baby's belly.

Next we will go to the hat. I found a child's hat at Target which of course was too big for a baby.

For the hat you'll need a little stuffing, some felt, left over tule and ribbon, and of course the hat.


Cut the tip of the hat off to the size you want your baby's hat to be. Next place the hat on some felt and trace the perimeter of the hat and cut out. Stuff the hat with felt and sew the hat to the piece of felt.



Then I simply made a miniture tutu like the one above and sewed it onto the bottom of the hat. Then hot glue some hair clips (similar to the previous headband tutorial) onto the bottom of the hat to attach to the headband.

Next up the onesie. You will need a onesie, fabric paint, stencil (or use a cricut like I did), some painting sponges and a pair of children's socks. First, lay out your saying how you would like.

Then simply use the sponge to apply the fabric paint.


I just used a black marker to fill in the letters with holes (such as "a").


To attach the socks to the arms you will first want to get rid of the ankle. It is hard to see in the picture but fold the ankle part of the sock down and sew a line straight across to hide the ankle and make the sock a tube.


Finally, pin and sew your socks to the onesie at the desired length. I just hand sewed them on because I found that easier but you could use a machine as well.


Finally, the leggings. You will need adult size socks, bloomers and some left over tule. You will want to do the same thing to the adult socks as you did for the children's socks to get rid of the ankle and make it a tube. Then, I just cut strips of tule and sewed them to the bottom of the socks. Also cut the toe part off of the socks.

Then sew the cut off end of your socks to the bottom of your bloomers.

I used the same technique as the onesie to put BEWARE on the back of the bloomers.



There you have it, the cutest little witch costume!!




No comments: