Thursday, November 18, 2010

Nothing Quite Like Cheap Storage

I love the look of cute little baskets throughout your home to store little nic-nacks but baskets seems ridiculously expensive to me. I have a few that I find on clearance every now and then but now with a newborn I've found it hard enough to run to Target for a few minutes, I don't have time to shop around for deals anymore. So, I decided to make some storage boxes out of all these diaper boxes I have laying around the house. Plus it's a great way to use up some of this extra fabric I have laying around that I have no idea why I bought in the first place.

What you'll need:
A cardboard box (you want it to be sturdy enough to stay together once you put stuff in it)
Fabric (as much as need to cover the size box you want)
Mod Podge
Ribbon (optional)

First cut the box to the size you'll want your storage box to be. I just cut a diaper box in half to make two storage boxes.


Then measure the bottom of your box and two sides. You'll want to cut a piece of fabric that is the width of the box (plus an inch for seam allowance) and the length of the box plus the height of the side (plus a couple inches to fold over the top). Then you'll want to cut two pieces of fabric that are the width of the box (plus an inch for seem allowance) and the height of the side (plus a couple inches to fold over). The picture may help explain this better.


Then you sew the two sides onto the long strip to make a fabric box. Again, the picture may help.


Finally, you pull the fabric over your cardboard box. I like to make mine fairly snug so it may take a little while to get is on and positioned right. Then I simply modge podge the fabric down over the side (on the inside of the box) and finished it off with ribbon.




They are nothing terribly fancy but they work fine for me. I made a bigger one to hold blankets too.


1 comment:

BecMama said...

Girl you are awesome. I seriously need a date with you to teach me how to use my sewing machine again. I love this idea as I too am overwhelmed by the cost of a simple basket!