Thursday, March 14, 2013

St. Patrick's Day Shirts

Hey friends! As promised, I'm back to share a tutorial on how I made my daughters' St. Patrick's Day shirts.  I'll apologize ahead of time for my poor phone photos.

I made these with things I had on hand but they can easily be made for super cheap.  Here is what you will need:

White Shirt
Green Fabric Paint
Pink Fabric Paint
Glitter Fabric Paint
Contact Paper
Cardboard to fit inside shirt
Sponge Brush
Scissors
Shamrock Template (Optional)
Ribbon (Optional)


First take your contact paper and cut it just larger than the size you want your shamrock to be.  You can eyeball it by placing it on top of your shirt or you can print a shamrock template off the internet.  Then cut your shamrock out.

Next slide your cardboard piece inside your shirt.  This is to prevent the paint from bleeding through to the back of the shirt.  Take the backing off your contact paper and stick your template on your shirt wherever you'd like your shamrock to be.  Make sure to rub all around your contact paper to ensure it's stuck onto your shirt nice and good.


Start with your green paint and apply a thin but generous layer.  I like to use a round foam brush and apply the paint with a stamping motion rather than a streaking motion.  This will help keep your contact paper from coming up as well as prevent bleeding of the paint.


Let your first layer dry for about an hour and apply a second layer to ensure you didn't miss any spots.  Then let this dry for a good four hours as the bottle recommends.


Next cut a little heart out of small piece of contact paper.  Stick it on your shamrock wherever you'd like it to be.  Apply two layers of pink paint as you did with the green.


Once the pink paint is dry, remove the heart contact paper.  Next apply a layer of glitter paint over the whole shamrock.


Let the paint dry for a good four hours and then remove the contact paper.  Originally I had planned to add a bow to the stem of the shamrock.


After the painting was all done, I decided I liked it as is so I left the bows off.  It's super cute either way though.


There you have it.  A fun and cheap way to have some cute St. Patty's Day outfits.  They also match the glittery headbands I showed you how to make in my previous post here.


Happy St. Patrick's Day!!



No comments: