This photo display has caused me some angst but I think I am finally content with how it turned out. I had some leftover foam and thought it would be perfect to make faux picture canvases out of. This is a simple technique that doesn't cost much so in a couple years when your kids have completely changed and you have new pictures, you can create a new display. Here is what you will need to make your own faux picture canvases. Since I had everything on hand, this cost me $0 but if you're venturing out to buy supplies, it wont cost you much either.
Foam boards
Pictures cut to the size you want your "canvases" to be (I recommend a thinker, more professional photo paper to prevent rippling)
Bread knife or similar cutting utensil
Double sided tape
Scrapbook paper (I recommend a thicker paper to prevent rippling)
Rotary cuter or scissors
Picture hanging strips
Paint to match your scrapbook paper (optional)
Annie's Tacky Glue (optional)
Annie's Tacky Glue (optional)
First I printed all of my pictures on my home computer in the largest 8X10 size. If you want larger canvases you can have prints done at a printing store.
Once you have all of your pictures ready you will need to cut your foam to match the exact size of your pictures. I simply laid the picture on top, traced around and then cut the foam to match.
To cut I used a bread knife. This seamed to work pretty well, but I'm sure any knife or probably even sharp scissors would work as long as your foam is not too thick.
To cut I used a bread knife. This seamed to work pretty well, but I'm sure any knife or probably even sharp scissors would work as long as your foam is not too thick.
Optional step: Sponge paint around the corners of your foam board just in case any shows through, it will be camouflaged.
Next up, you need to attach your pictures to the front. I tried many different methods but the best I found was simple double sided tape. I'm not a big fan of spray adhesive but I'm sure that would work well too. Make sure to smooth out an ripples. Optional: I added a little Annie's Tacky Glue (the stuff in the gold bottle) to reinforce the edges.
Optional step: I also created some foam boards using decorative scrapbook paper rather than pictures to mix in with my display. Use coordinating colors to make it uniform.
Once I attached the pictures to the front, I just needed to cover up the sides.
Cut your scrapbook paper to the exact width and length of all four sides of your foam. Again I attached it with double sided tape. Double sided tape seams to get a bad rap but I'm a big fan after this project. Optional: Again, I added a little Annie's Tacky Glue to the corners to reinforce.
This project is so quick and easy (and CHEAP)! Since the pictures are not sealed in anyway these will not last forever. They will last for a few years though and that's perfect for me because in a few or probably just a couple years I'll have new pictures I'll want to display. Just ask my husband about my ever evolving wall decor. :)
If you're wondering about my wall vinyl, check out my post here.
1 comment:
Great tutorial and even greater finished project.
Post a Comment